The Midwest Academy Counseling Department assists and guides students in developing competencies focused in the areas of social, emotional, and academic growth. With a very low counselor-to-student ratio, our team works closely with students, administrators, teachers, and outside providers to address all students’ needs.
Counselors primarily focus on helping our students work through challenges and process emotions, with a successful return to the classroom as the main goal. With a collaborative approach that may include outside health care providers, we help students identify strategies and coping skills to help them manage their emotions in a healthy way.
Some examples of how we support our students include:
- Providing one-on-one, solution-focused counseling sessions to students
- Communicating all aspects of their child’s well being to parents
- Implementing a developmentally appropriate sex education program, including general health and hygiene lessons
- Providing behavior interventions, including development and implementation of behavior plans
- Facilitating large-group, team-building activities
- Leading classroom lessons on the expression of emotions, coping skills, and healthy relationships
- Supporting parent education by offering relevant, topic-based movie nights, guest speakers, and sessions during Parents’ Association meetings.
“Proud Supporter of Midwest Academy”